Monday, October 31, 2011

DRUNKARD'S PATH QUILT~A~LONG

I have no business joining a quilt~a~long since I have 7 other quilts that aren't finished, including 2 from other QAL's (you can read previous posts on those here and here).  When I saw this quilt top, made with Drunkard Path blocks, by Kate over at Needle and Spatula I fell in love with the layout.  I was so excited when Kate and Kristie from OCD~Obsessive Crafting Disorder announced that they were going to host a Drunkard's Path QAL.  I just couldn't keep myself from joining in!  I am so happy I did! 

I decided to use some fabric I had in my stash cuz let's face it, I have way too much fabric just sitting around.  Plus, I really love this fabric and it seemed perfect for this QAL.
Chrysalis by Sanae for Moda and Moda Bella Solid in Stone

I also got to put my AccuQuilt GO! fabric cutter to good use.
650 pieces of fabric goodness!
I am new to sewing curves together so I got right to it to see how difficult it would be for this straight line quilting girl.  I used Kristie's modifed method and surprisingly it went pretty well.  I am not a pro by any means but I just might be after sewing 309 more of these babies together...ha! 

The wonderful thing about these squares if that there are lots of different layout options.  Here are just a few (you can see complete quilt tops here and here).




It's been so much fun playing around with these squares and seeing all of the possibilities but Kate's version is still my favorite.  I will definately be going with this layout.
I am so excited to get this quilt finished, especially since it's the first one I am keeping for myself!  And when I am done I may just make another one using this layout with black & white fabric (it reminds me of ninja blades, I think it would be a hit at my house with 3 boys!)

It's not too late to join the QAL.  Come on, give it a try!

Drunkard's Path Quilt Along with OCD and Needle and Spatula
Smiles~Beth

1 comment:

Kristie said...

I love seeing your pieces coming together! I am overwhelmed by my options and still haven't picked my layout, but it is fun looking at all the possibilities! The next few weeks will be great seeing how everyone puts their quilt tops together :) So glad you are joining in!